Keeping Yourself Safe from Fraudsters
Below is some basic guidance on keeping yourself safe from fraudsters.
- Never give any account details, pin numbers, passwords and such to any caller.
- Never give out your bank details or send money unless you are 100% certain you can trust the person who has contacted you, don't free pressurised, seek advice by calling Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 040506 and report any potential scam to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
- Scams investing in goods like wine or new products/projects. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
- Scams charging high fees for money transfers. Sometimes the money vanishes.
- 'Free' or 'paid for' pension advice or savings review which can cost money.
- Be suspicious of any unknown telephone caller (even if they say they are your bank etc).
- If you are feeling pressured, don't engage in chat with them, just put the phone down.
More scams continue to proliferate. Pensioners in particular should be aware of the types of scams targeted at them. Be totally useless to the fraudsters and give away nothing!
Don't believe them when they say they are not selling anything.
Remember that you may remain connected to the caller for some time after.